Whether you’ve recently invested in a full-scale backyard redesign or you want to make your existing outdoor space more livable, patio furniture is a great place to start. The right furniture can turn a relatively plain space into a warm and inviting place for your family and friends to enjoy. However, it’s not as simple as going to the furniture store and picking out your favorite pieces. There are other things to consider when designing for the outdoors.
- High Quality/Outdoor Friendly: It’s important to choose high quality, sturdy pieces that are going to hold up to the weather. Regardless of where you live, each climate and environment has its own challenges. Do you get a lot of rain? Heat? Snow? Choose furniture that is made to stand up against the weather in your area and look for textiles created with all-weather materials (water repellant, quick evaporation, resistant to fading, etc.)
- Low Maintenance: If you’re the one who cleans in your house, chances are pretty good you don’t choose furniture that’s a pain to maintain for your indoor spaces so why would you choose high maintenance furniture for your outdoor space? Some materials that are easy to care for include most metals, teak and cedar.
- Comfort: I know, I know…you see a really hip-looking hammock/swing/chair hybrid in that fancy catalog you’re reading and you think it’d be so cool on your deck! Maybe it would look neat, but is it really comfortable and practical? We highly recommend testing out your patio furniture in the store before purchasing just like you would when you purchase any indoor furniture. You might end up lounging outside for hours at a time and I promise you’ll want to be comfortable when you do.
- Storage/Dual Purpose: Keep an eye out for pieces that have a dual purpose –a bench with a built-in cooler or a table that doubles as a log rack for your fire wood. It’s important to maximize your space outside, especially if you don’t have a lot of it.
- Match It Up: Don’t forget to keep your house in mind when furnishing your outdoor living space. The bright colors might be fun, but do they look right up against the outside of your house (whether it is paneling, brick or stone)? Try not to choose furniture that clashes with your house…especially if your neighbors have to look at your yard too.
Not everyone loves to decorate. It can be daunting and overwhelming. Once you factor in Mother Nature and possible space restrictions, it makes designing for the outdoors even more challenging. The important thing to remember is to have fun with it. You can find inspiration anywhere. Once you do, take it and run with it. You don’t have to have a design background to make your outdoor living space a place the entire family can enjoy. If you still need the perfect outdoor space to furnish, call Moscarino at 440-236-9000 or fill out our Consultation Request form to get started. We can help you design your dream backyard today!